My Sorrow, when she’s here with me,
Thinks these dark days of autumn rain
Are beautiful as days can be;
She loves the bare, the withered tree;
She walked the sodden pasture lane.
- Robert Frost, My November Guest
I’m continuing my love affair with Fall and all things cozy that come from chillier weather. Even the quiet, melancholic moments. November is good company for that.
- Still reading A Clash of Kings. Was hoping to finish the whole series by Christmas, I doubt it’s going to happen. I’ve been really busy and I feel like I can only take so much epic epicness at a time, so I keep taking breaks.
- On deck: The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern, The Family Fang – Kevin Wilson, The Name of the Star – Maureen Johnson
- Lots and lots of knitting.
- Saw The Ides of March. (Excellent. Ryan Gosling rocks pretty much everything.) Wanting to see Martha Marcy May Marlene, My Week With Marilyn, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Like Crazy, Young Adult, Sherlock Holmes: Book of Shadows, and also Drive and about 800 other great-looking movies that I feel like I’ve missed in the last couple months! I need to catch up.
- I’m also super-excited for Fincher’s Girl With the Dragon Tattoo which looks like it might end up being a better adaptation than the swedish films, even though I adore Noomi Rapace. (Yeah. I said it.)
- Went on a little roadtrip with Darcy and our good friend Kate last weekend to Provincetown, MA. My first visit to the Cape (even though I live really close to it). It was wonderful. I couldn’t get over how adorable the town was. We found a great little tattoo shop where Kate got her second tattoo (on her ribs, what a badass!) and I’m thinking it will be where I get my next work done. We also stayed in the most perfect little Inn. I wanted to move in for a while.
- Drawing up designs for some holiday cards. I think I’m going to do some with ink and paint and some with papercuts.
- Planning a really lovely Brooklyn Thanksgiving with my brother and other lovely friends I don’t get to see often enough.
- Missing my days of playing guitar, which I haven’t done regularly for years now. Might be time to pick it back up.
- Avoiding the GOP debates. I watched one and my head nearly exploded. I think this upcoming election year might just kill me.
- I’ve been listening to the album Down the Way by Angus and Julia Stone a lot lately. The songs “Draw Your Swords”, “For You” and “Devil’s Tears” seem really appropriate for the chill in the air and the long starry nights.
- I also can’t wait to get the Christmas records out. I love love love holiday music. Yes even Bob Dylan’s. (Maybe even especially.)
- I always pull out Nick Drake again every time November comes around. I decided his perfect cover of Jackson Frank’s “Milk and Honey” just feels like the approach of Winter to me.